The Talented Bunch

(This is not a poem, but a play I wrote for the Church's Annual Feast on 2/10/13.)


The Talented Bunch

Cast:

Jim, a school boy
Mom, Jim's mom
Master
First Servant
Second Servant
Third Servant


Scene 1  - Jim's house

[Mom is at home expecting Jim. Jim comes home from school. He is not enthusiastic. He puts his backpack down.]

Mom : How was your day, Jim?

Jim : Not good. 

Mom : What happened?

Jim : Today they took the pictures for the year book. Many of my friends were called for multiple pictures but I was not. They all have many talents - like sports and public speaking and they won prizes in competitions. I am not talented!

Mom : But Jim, you are good at painting.

Jim : (getting annoyed) Painting! What good is sitting in a corner and painting? There is no painting team at school! And how  does it help with athletic ability? That is all what matters to have friends.

Mom : (in a calming voice) Jim, sit down… Let me tell you a story from the Bible. Once upon a time there was rich master who had three servants.


Scene 2 - The Master's house

[ Master is set to go on a trip. The three servants are lined up seeing him off.]

Master : I am going on a business trip. I will be gone for 9 months. I want you to manage the property. Also, to keep you sharp, I want to give you some talents.  

(To the first servant ) Here, you get five talents.
(First servant receives it.)

(To the second servant ) Here, you get two talents.
(Second servant receives it.)

(To the third servant ) Here, you get one talent.
(Third servant receives it.)

All right, see you when I return.
[Master exits]


Servant 1 : (Steps forward and thinks out loud)  With 5 talents I can really do a lot. May be with 2 I will buy some land, with 2  I will build a factory and with 1 I will pay the workers. And I will make a profit. (He exits.)

Servant 2 : (Steps forward and thinks out loud) I got only 2 talents. So it is not enough to start a factory. But I can start a business with local craftsmen. I can buy materials with 1 talent and pay the craftsmen with 1 talent. And I will make a profit. (He exits.)

Servant 3 : (Very angry) Seriously? The master gives me just one talent! I cannot do anything with it! Not enough to buy land, not enough to start a business. This is so unfair! why did he give me only one when he gave the others two and five times more? After all, all three of us have been working with the master for the same time. This is really unfair and the master is really unkind. 

(Pauses and thinks for a second) You  know what, I am going to preserve his precious coin exactly as it is till he returns.

(Digs a hole in the ground and buries the coin. He exits.)

Scene 3 - The Master's house

(Narrator: The master returned after the long business trip.) 

(The master returns weary from the journey. The servants welcome him.)

Master : How is everything at the farm.

Servant 1 : Everything is very well. 

Master : Though I am really tired and want to rest, I am really eager to know what you did with the talents.

Servant 1 : (With excitement) Master, you had given me 5 talents. I bought land with 2, built a factory with 2 and paid workers with 1 and now I made 10 talents in revenue! Here they are.

Master : (Receives coins. Very impressed). Excellent! You have earned my trust. I will make you in charge of bigger projects. We really should celebrate your accomplishment.

Servant 2 : Master, you had given me 2 talents. I bought materials with 1 and paid artisans with 1 and now I made 4 talents in revenue! Here they are.

Master : (Receives coins. Very impressed). Excellent! You have earned my trust. I will make you in charge of bigger projects. We really should celebrate your accomplishment.

Servant 3 : (Suppressing anger) Master, you had entrusted me 1 talent. I know you a are cruel and unjust man and would ask for accounts when you return. You gave me only 1 talent when you gave others many more. 
(digs out the talent) Here is your talent. I hid it in the ground all this time.

Master : (Angrily) You are a wicked and lazy servant! You could not think of any good use to put the money to? You knew I would ask for accounts on my return. At least, you should have put the money in the bank so I would at least have some interest by now. 

(Takes the talent from Servant 3, giving to to servant 1)
He is the best at managing my talents. 

(to Servant 3)

And you shall not join our celebrations!

(Servant 3 exits with his head down, Master and the other two servants exit the opposite way)

Scene 4 - Jim's house.

(Jim's mom just finished the story.)

Mom : So, what did you learn from the story?

Jim : (thinking out loud) I see. We should not compare our talents with those of others. Rather, we should work on developing and using our talents. 

Mom : So Jim, what are you going to do with your talent? 

Jim : (thinks for some time) I really don't know mom. It seems that everybody at school only cares about sports.

Mom : Did you not say they are making a school magazine? How about you make a painting and give to the teacher? She can include it in the magazine?

Jim :I am not sure Mom. She doesn't like paintings. 

Mom : But you draw very well Jimmy. You give your best effort and make a painting. If you do your part, God will do his.

(Jim agrees, even though reluctantly and goes to his room.)

Scene 5 - Jim's house, the next day.

(Jim returns from school all excited and cheerful.) 

Jim : (excited) Mom! mom! the teacher really liked my painting - they are going to add it as the cover page for the school magazine!

Mom : (excited) This is really good news Jimmy. I can't wait to tell it to dad when he comes home. We should celebrate. You know what, I am going to make your favorite dessert.

Announcer : How have you been working with your talents? Have you been comparing yourself with others and complaining you don't  have anything? Or are you putting your gifts and talents to good use to produce 10 or 50 or 100 times the results?
                   After all, we are the talented bunch.

End

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My companion

The Church Pianoman

ശകലം - 01/05/2017